Book review - The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou

Title:           The Heart of a Woman
Author:        Maya Angelou
Year of Publication:        1997 (first published in 1981)
Number of pages: 324
Publisher:    Bantam Books
Reviewer:    Amma A. Agyeman-Prempeh
 
 
I have read some of Maya Angelou’s poems and quotes, but this was my first time reading her book. And I loved it! The title of the book is captivating. At first glance, I wondered what the pages would reveal about the heart of this great woman. I knew I had to get it. ASAP! Thanks to BookNook Bookstore, I had it delivered right to my desk.
 
 
“The Heart of a Woman” is the fourth in her autobiography series. Initially, I was concerned that I may not fully understand her story as I haven’t read the first three books. Boy was I wrong! She does a good job of filling in the puzzle of the story of her life prior to this stage.
 
I love autobiographies because I get inspiration from reading about the real-life experiences of icons. Their stories often reveal ordinary lives in spite of the fame and great achievements. This book was no exception. Given that she is revered for her literary prowess and world-acclaimed for her civil activism, I was pleasantly surprised at how well I could resonate with her story. In fact, I was thrilled at the similarities between her story and mine. Plain, ordinary me.
 
 
In this book, she tells the story as a single mother struggling to make a decent living to support her family. She also talks about the budding stages of her writing career. The story takes us from California to New York to Cairo and to… (drum roll)…. Accra, Ghana!
 
Although the story is set in the mid 1950s to mid 1960s, I was struck by the similarities between that era and the present times - afro awakening exhibited through wearing African prints, women keeping their natural hair, etc. We see that happening in Ghana today where there is an increasing sense of pride in our heritage. The issue of violence against blacks is also one that resonates with the current #BlackLivesMatter in the USA today. Lastly, the intricate balance of the roles of husbands and wives continues to spur interesting discussions. In Ghana, this has led tothe springing up of groups such as Pepperdem, Pamperdem and Sugardem.
 
The use of vivid descriptions brings the book to life. As I read, I could visualize every character and the setting of every scene. It was more of a real-life enactment than a book. I felt as though I was walking right by her side. I was nervous before she and her friends staged their production -The Blacks, and I heaved a sigh of relief when it turned out to be a big success.
 
 
A major theme in this book is that of her relationships- with her son, her mother, the Writers’ Guild and the men in her life. Her bond with her son goes through the natural ups and downs of raising an adolescent. Yet, her love and devotion for him are palpable. He is her world. He and her mother, that is. It is amazing to see how even as an adult she finds refuge in her mother. I am greatly inspired by her relationship with other writers. It is almost incomprehensible to think that such a great writer was once a novice. Yet, her dedication and willingness to chart new waters enables her to develop her talent to the highest level.  It is clear that she is a strong woman. Hers, is a strong heart and ultimately, she calls the shots in her relationships with the men in her life.
 
Her story is interspersed with her personal interactions with legends such as Billie Holiday, Martin Luther King Jnr., Malcom X and other great freedom fighters. After reading this book, I now understand what all the rave about Maya Angelou is all about. Yes, she’s all that and more.
 
There are numerous quotable quotes in the book. But the one that best resonates with my life at this stage is this one:
 
Making a decision to write was a lot like deciding to jump into a frozen lake…. If I survived at all, it would be a triumph. If I swam, it would be a miracle. …..I had to try. If I ended in defeat, at least I would be trying. Trying to overcome was black people’s honorable tradition. (p 48).
 
With this inspiration, I’ll keep writing. Stay tuned…

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts