We Run This Joint #HappyWomensDay #EveryDayIsWomensDay


Written on 8th March 2018

Today is International Women’s Day. Yayyy!

International Women’s Day is a special day to celebrate the achievements of women all over the world. Each year, the celebration has a different theme to focus on issues of gender equality. The theme for this year is #PressForProgress.

I look forward to a time when there will be no need to set aside a day to celebrate women. Indeed women need to be celebrated everyday because we are super human beings and the world will come to a standstill if we ever decide to go on a sitdown strike. The image below is an apt description of my life as a woman – juggling my many roles as mother, wife, career woman, sister, daughter, friend, citizen, entrepreneur and many more.



Photo Credit: https://www.thinglink.com/scene/743315036730032129



So this is how I celebrated International Women's Day. My day didn’t start off very well. I was in a funky mood. Sad for no apparent reason. I felt bad because I snapped at someone in the office. Poor lady! My hormones were all over the place (welcome to a woman's world) and I was on a very very short fuse. All the same, I decided to give myself a treat. So I had brunch all by myself at my favourite café, Josie’s Cuppa Cappucino. I ordered my favorite chicken and avocado sandwich with orange and lemon iced tea (pictured below). The icing on the cake was that I got to meet the owner, Franka Marie Andoh who also co-authored Sam. How cool!





After a hectic afternoon, driving through the city in the sweltering heat and rushing to beat a deadline, I was happy to get off work by 5:00 pm. I usually work late so it was refreshing to be able to head home before sunset. I couldn’t wait to spend some time with my son!

I was still in a funky mood but music almost always lifts up my spirits. Here is the playlist that caused all my worries (both real and imaginary i.e. hormone-induced) to literally fly out the window.

1.         Kokonsa Police – Ebony
2.         Ma Lo – Tiwa Savage ft Wizkid & Spellz
3.         Fia – Davido
4.         Sponsor – Ebony
5.         Hustle – Ebony (the asorkpor beat in this one is out of this world J)
6.         Maame Hw3 – Ebony
7.         Over – R2Bees

(Can you tell I love Ebony’s music? I really do! She was such a free-spirit. She has a way of saying what we all probably want to say, but don't have the guts to voice out.)

Anyway, so the perfect end to International Women's Day was to be able to spend time with my son before bedtime. 8 out of 10 times, he’s fast asleep by the time I get home from work. So today was a special day for me. This was our routine - piano lesson, dinner, shower, reading, tossing, turning, peeing, drinking water, tossing and turning some more and then finally sleeping. Whew! Marathon, but I won’t have it any other way.

I’m grateful for the many opportunities and challenges that come my way as a woman. I hope and pray that I will pave the way for other women - to clear the path and make the walk more enjoyable for younger women.

Cheers to all the amazing women! We run this joint!!!


Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/452048881328626586/?lp=true


Comments

Popular Posts